With the debut of the now consolidated Google Mobile Apps for BlackBerry also arrives yet another reason why your church and/or charity should consider moving off the desktop and onto the web space.
This is because yesterday Google has officially launched its Google Mobile Apps for BlackBerry, which integrates all those separate applications on your handy handset into a single interface that provides single-sign, single-click access to:
- Google Mail,
- Google Maps,
- Google Sync,
- Google News,
- Google Reader,
- Google Calendar,
- Google Docs,
- Picasa Web albums, and
- Google notebook.
So what has this got to do with running your church and/or charity website? Glad you asked …
Think of it in these terms: you get an idea for a sermon, study, budget, and/or praise song while standing in the line at the grocery store. You start your outline document on your trusty BlackBerry – then email your wife, your co-teacher, your committee chair that you’re now sharing this new document with them and that you’ll be able to work on it in about an hour.
You get home, fire up your browser, and now your great outline is on its way to becoming a great presentation that you’ll also post on your blog-driven church website, without you having to worry about floppy disks, USB keys, FTP depots and other vestiges of the ‘sneakernet‘ technology that desktop applications have used to chain us to our desks.
And for those of you asking, but I’ve already got the individuals apps on my BlackBerry, why upgrade? Glad you asked, here’s why …
- Fast Google search – enter queries without waiting for a browser to load
- Search history – easily access and amend your previous queries
- Google Suggest – complete queries with less typing
- Easy access to Google products for your phone – click once to download and install our applications for BlackBerry, and get immediate access to our web-based services
- Google Apps support – get direct links to your Google Apps Calendar and Documents/Spreadsheets (select Menu, Options, Use Google Apps Domain: yes, and then enter your domain name)
- Update alerts – learn about new versions of downloadable Google mobile applications and upgrade with just one click (Google Mobile App replaces Google Updater for BlackBerry)
If you’re a BlackBerry owner, go to m.google.com to download the conoslidated office ‘sweet’ …
… as I will this weekend, hopefully reporting nothing but good news later next week.