Let’s face it, my VerseScrape application sucks. Not because it’s bad code but because it’s still screen scraping in a day an age of XML and content syndication.
I know what you’re thinking: “Huh, what? Uh, Dean, you wanna come back with that in English?”
For those of you who don’t speak ancient geek, what this means is that putting a daily verse on your website is a real pain because too many providers of this content are still using technologies that date back to 1999, which is a long time in both computer and dog years.
This is why I wrote “An Open Letter to Christian Media Outlets” almost 1 and one half years ago. And this is why I’ve been so pleased with the response from some of the responses, like that of the publishers of the ESV Bible.
Still, we have a long way to go. Not all publishers have seen the light. In part there is a fear that they’ll lose business or that they’re not going to be able to “brand” as effectively. Hey, I got news for you hold-outs, “those who wish to save their lives are going to lose them,.” In other words, this is going to happen to you anyway as more and more content providers beat your organization to the syndication punch.
The other reason for not getting with the program is not knowing just how to provide daily, syndicated Scripture. For that, may I suggest StudyShare.net’s Dailyverse XML specification, a proposed standard which describes itself in the following way:
Okay, now a call to my brothers and sisters who do speak pure geek. Give this standard the once-over. Offer suggestions. Point out examples to similar standards if they exist. Basically, share your wealth of knowledge.
In the meantime, I’m going to see what I can do to write a bit of Perl to parse this standard.